    SubjectRe: 2.6.0-test9 - poor swap performance on low end machines
    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Roger Luethi wrote:

    > One potential problem with the benchmarks is that my test box has
    > just one bar with 256 MB RAM. The kbuild and efax tests were run with
    > mem=64M and mem=32M, respectively. If the difference between mem=32M

    OK, I found another difference with 2.4.

    Try "echo 256 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes", I think
    that should give the same free watermarks that 2.4 has.

    Using 1MB as the min free watermark for lowmem is bound
    to result in more free (and less used) memory on systems
    with less than 128 MB RAM ... significantly so on smaller
    systems.

    The fact that ZONE_HIGHMEM and ZONE_NORMAL are recycled
    at very different rates could also be of influence on
    some performance tests...