SubjectRe: [patch] Re: Problem with exiting threads under NPTL
On Sun, 14 December 2003 12:45:34 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Btw, on another note: to avoid the appearance of recursion, I'd prefer a
>
> p = leader;
> goto top;
>
> instead of a "release_task(leader);".
>
> I realize that the recursion should be just one deep (the leader of the
> leader is itself, and that will stop the thing from going further), but it
> looks trivial to avoid it, and any automated source checking tool would be
> confused by the apparent recursion.

Since you mentioned it - how would you prefer the asct (we need a
better acronym) to detect recursion depth. Currently, I have those in
a seperate file that should come with the kernel, maybe in
Documentation/recursions or so. But how about this:

/**
* RECURSION: 2
* NAME: do_recurse
*/
void do_recurse(int recurse)
{
if (recurse)
do_recurse(0);
}

Ok, the format is ugly, feel free to pick anything nicer. But
explicitly stating the recursion depth right where it happens makes
sense to me, as many human readers would like a similar comment
anyway.

Any opinion?

Jörn

--
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.