    SubjectRe: [CFT][RFC] HT scheduler

    Rusty Russell wrote:

    >In message <> you write:
    >>Rusty Russell wrote:
    >>>In message <> you write:
    >Actually, having produced the patch, I've changed my mind.
    >While it was spiritually rewarding to separate "struct runqueue" into
    >the stuff which was to do with the runqueue, and the stuff which was
    >per-cpu but there because it was convenient, I'm not sure the churn is
    >worthwhile since we will want the rest of your stuff anyway.

    OK nice, I haven't heard any other objections. I'll be trying to get
    this included in 2.6, so if anyone doesn't like it please speak up.

    >It (and lots of other things) might become worthwhile if single
    >processors with HT become the de-facto standard. For these, lots of
    >our assumptions about CONFIG_SMP, such as the desirability of per-cpu
    >data, become bogus.
    >A few things need work:
    >1) There's a race between sys_sched_setaffinity() and
    > sched_migrate_task() (this is nothing to do with your patch).

    Yep. They should both take the task's runqueue lock.

    >2) Please change those #defines into an enum for idle (patch follows,
    > untested but trivial)

    Thanks, I'll take the patch.

    >3) conditional locking in load_balance is v. bad idea.

    Yeah... I'm thinking about this. I don't think it should be too hard
    to break out the shared portion.

    >4) load_balance returns "(!failed && !balanced)", but callers stop
    > calling it when it returns true. Why not simply return "balanced",
    > or at least "balanced && !failed"?

    No, the idle balancer stops calling it when it returns true, the periodic
    balancer sets idle to 0 when it returns true.

    !balanced && !failed means it has moved a task.

    I'll either comment that, or return it in a more direct way.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.022 / U:19.240 seconds]