    Subjectrequest: capabilities that allow users to drop privileges further
    I would like to be able to drop capabilities that every normal user has,
    so that network servers can limit the impact of possible future security
    problems further. For example, I want my non-cgi web server to be able
    to drop the capabilities to

    * fork
    * execve
    * ptrace
    * load kernel modules
    * mknod
    * write to the file system

    and I would like to modify my smtpd to not be able to

    * fork
    * execve
    * ptrace
    * load kernel modules
    * mknod

    I can kludge around some of these, for example I can disable fork with
    resource limits, and I can limit writing to the file system with chroot
    and proper permissions in the file systems, but I'm not aware of a way
    to disable ptrace for example, or pthread_create.

    I know that there are patches to provide an extended "jail" chroot
    support, but being able to drop capabilities like this would be a more
    general solution.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.018 / U:40.344 seconds]