SubjectRe: [2.4] Nforce2 oops and occasional hang (tried the lockups patch, no difference)
Thanks greatly for the tips, btw.  Its much appreciated :)

Also, I think I forgot to mention (doh) its an Epox 8rda+.

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 21:25, Ross Dickson wrote:
> I am not certain your problems are nforce2 type specific.
> Standard response: I don't suppose you can try a different stick of ram?

Unfortunately not - its a single kingston hyper-x 3200 stick. (In
theory I'll be moving it up to 700M or a gig in the next couple months,
at which point I'll be in position to swap ram around and so forth.) I
did get the bios all tuned and run memtest-mmx on it for 24 hours before
the system installation though, and it passed. What I did yesterday is
turn the memory frequency down from 200 to 166. (Which leaves the cpu
overclocked by about 33 mhz, something I think it will survive just fine
;) ..)

> The local apic ack delay timing patch needs athlon cpu and amd/nvidia ide on in
> kern config to kick in. If you are using it then I highly recommend uniprocessor
> ioapic config as well to go with it to route the 8254 timer irq0 through pin 0 of
> ioapic as using the apic config alone leaves a lot of ints generated on irq7
> which can cause problems. (Reason for 8259 making them spurious on irq7
> is explained in 8259A data sheet)

Thats how I'm running it now - its gone about 1 day without any oopses.
(In the past it would go anywhere from hours to about a week, so the
results aren't in yet.)

On the basis of it being a memory issue I poked around the epox site and
noticed something I hadn't seen before - they recommend what might be
different memory timings (I'll have to check if/when it crashes again):

If your PC3200 memory is not stable try the following BIOS settings:

Memory Frequency = 100%
Memory Timing = Expert
T(RAS) = 7
T(RCD) = 3
T(RP) = 3
CAS Latency = 2.5

Adjust the memory frequency above until you reach the resulting
frequency of 200MHz (for PC3200).

--
Disconnect <lkml@sigkill.net>