    SubjectRe: [2.4] Nforce2 oops and occasional hang (tried the lockups patch, no difference)
    Ross Dickson wrote:

    >Oh, and the modules list:
    > Module Size Used by Tainted: P
    > i2c-dev 4548 0 (unused)
    > i2c-core 13604 0 [i2c-dev]
    ><snip>
    >

    >I am not certain your problems are nforce2 type specific.
    >Standard response: I don't suppose you can try a different stick of ram?

    Yes, and stock settings with tested ram may
    be necessary with nforce2, possibly related to our
    timing-related voodoo culture(might overclock
    later on in life as timing-related patches evolve).

    I have a via board that only recognizes two of
    four generic ram sticks, but second stick will cause
    an oops soon after. Another via setup will oops
    if any fast ram settings(4-way,csl2 etc) is attempted,
    though only using tested cas2 ram. "Try a different
    stick of ram".

    On nforce2 I'm able to use bios "performance"
    ram timing but if I manually tweak all the ram
    settings up like I can do on other systems, I
    get mem-related OOPS with nforce2.

    acpi apic lapic amd pre-empt nforce2ide
    (once you start you have to go all the way)

    >The reason I say that is that oops were very uncommon on either the
    >epox 8rga+ or albatron km18G-pro MOBOS upon which I developed my
    >patches. Hard lockups were pretty much all I experienced prior to the
    >patches except for an occasional X fail. Base OS flavour I
    >use is Suse 8.2 including gcc version (web updates utilised)
    >
    >The udma patches are really just a cleanup on the address setup timing so
    >I do not think that they are a factor.
    >
    >The local apic ack delay timing patch needs athlon cpu and amd/nvidia ide on in
    >kern config to kick in. If you are using it then I highly recommend uniprocessor
    >ioapic config as well to go with it to route the 8254 timer irq0 through pin 0 of
    >ioapic as using the apic config alone leaves a lot of ints generated on irq7
    >which can cause problems. (Reason for 8259 making them spurious on irq7
    >is explained in 8259A data sheet)
    >
    >Also I now use a small patch to fixup proc info - only if you are using
    >the 64 bit jiffies var hz patch, avail here:

    >If you try acpi=off on boot and it is then not very stable then I think it has
    >little to do with lockups patch as that is my fallback mode when I am
    >playing with apic ioapic code.
    >
    >Another fallback I use at times is
    >
    >hdparm -Xudma3 /dev/hda
    >
    >Hope this helps the confusion
    >
    >Regards
    >Ross

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:2.475 / U:0.016 seconds]