SubjectRe: udev for dummies
David T Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 17:16, J.A. Magallon wrote:

>>What am I missing / misunderstanding ?

> You may be overthinking it a bit. I just set up udev on my box and it's
> working quite well. It's not really intending to completely replace
> /dev, rather it provides a dynamic device structure based on hotplugged
> devices.

Greg can speak to this better than I, but udev is most certainly
intended to completely replace /dev. The thing is that not everything
exports the required information in /sys just yet.

If you start up udev and then run the script that comes with it that
parses all the pre-existing /sys entries, it will build a pretty decent
set of device nodes. Eventually it is intended that this will be
mounted at /dev, which could be an on-disk filesystem or else a
tmpfs-based one.

Once all the information is in /sys, then static /dev will go away
forever. (Which is good, since device numbers will be random in 2.7.)

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557