SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Linux 2.6.0-test11 only lets me use 1GB out of 2GB ram.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:08:38PM -0800, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> You mean like we place the stack in the "ABI compliant place"?
> Yeah, right ;-)

No specific address is ever cited as a requirement for stack placement;
stack immediately below text is merely given as a "typical arrangement".
i.e. "Although applications may control their memory assignments, the
typical arrangement appears below: [diagram and other bits]" It then
goes on to say, "Processes, therefore, shount _not_ depend on finding
their stack at a particular virtual address."

The process address space boundary is, however, stated as a requirement:
"the reserved area shall not consume more than 1GB of the address space."

-- wli

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans