SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

Kendall Bennett wrote:

>Jesse Pollard <jesse@cats-chateau.net> wrote:
>

>>>You miss my point. I was talking about a single kernel version. For a
>>>single kernel version, the ABI is both *published* and *stable*. Sure it
>>>may not be what you consider a *clean* or *good* ABI, but it *IS* an
>>>ABI. Note that:
>>>
>>>1. It is a published ABI because for that one kernel release, all the
>>>source code is available that documents the ABI (albiet badly IYO).
>>>
>>>2. It is stable because that kernel version will never change on your
>>>machine.
>>>
>>Huh? I frequently update the kernel, and the kernel minor version... as
>>well as switch from uniprocessor to SMP. The major version may not change,
>>but that minor one certanly does. And adding SMP changes the ABI for that
>>version. And patches CAN and DO change the ABI, even within the major
>>version.
>>

>So what? You don't change it on *MY* machine, now do you? *MY* version
>remains stable regardless of what *YOU* do unless I update my source
>code.

Linus doesn't change it on *YOUR* machine either, when he releases a new
kernel. You do when you pull his changes. The point is the difficulty from
a module distributor's point of view.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.129 / U:10.560 seconds]