SubjectRe: Increasing HZ (patch for HZ > 1000)
Date
On Thursday 11 December 2003 02:18, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
>>> Why would you want to *increase* HZ? I'd say 1000 is already too
>>> high personally, but I'm curious what you'd want to do with it?
>>> Embedded real-time stuff?
>>
>> Actually, my reasons may sound a little strange, but basically I'd
>> be fine with HZ=1000 if it wasn't for that annoying ~1 kHz sound
>> when the CPU is idle (probably bad capacitors). By increasing HZ
>> to 10 kHz, the sound is at a frequency where the ear is much less
>> sensitive. Anyway, I thought some people might be interested in
>> high HZ for other (more fundamental) reasons, so I posted the
>> patch.
>
>Ha! ;-)
>A hardware fix might be in order ;-)

Indeed... I may have the only un-repaired Biostar M7VIB in the area
out of several dozen. All the rest have had those 4 caps right above
the AGP slot replaced already. And this one may also be the only one
that doesn't get shut off at night. However it is also very unstable
when starting from cold, needing 3-5 resets to even get through post
without trashing the video after I had it apart to clean the cpu
fan/sink and psu the other night. Its stable once thats been done,
so I'm as usual, procrastinating. Been doing it for 69 years now. :)

Hardware indeed. I'm a Certified Electronics Technician. Have
someone check all those electrolyric caps in the on-board psu in
particular, using a device similar to a "Capacitor Wizard" which
measures not the capacity of the cap, but the caps Equivalent Series
Resistance (ESR) at 100 kilohertz or more. Anything over half an ohm
should be replaced forthwith. This assumes of course that your tech
in charge of hot solder has the tools to do it correctly. If not,
find one who does have the tools.

Many mobos in a period ranging from about 2.5 to 1.5 years ago were
built with caps that go defective prematurely due to a bad batch of
them from several far eastern cap makers who were fed a bad recipe
for the electrolyte in the caps, eg the Ethylene Glycol wasn't near
pure enough.

>M.
>
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz 512M
by Gene Heskett are:

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.106 / U:0.052 seconds]