    SubjectRe: Driver API (was Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?)
    Date

    Peter Chubb writes:

    > One of the things we're working on here is an ABI to allow device
    > drivers to live in user space, by enabling access to interrupts and
    > PCI DMA.

    This is already available via a commercial product.

    It's a proprietary licensed Linux binary loadable module (hmm...) that
    exports the kernel services to user space in an abstract, OS and CPU
    agnostic manner. The API is consistent for Win32, Linux, Solaris, VxWorks
    and variants.

    I've used it previously in a cross-platform commercial application which had
    to run on Linux and Win32 and required hardware access, it works well. The
    driver is provided as object code which you have to link against the kernel
    headers to get access to the appropriate Linux ABI for the target release.

    I believe the later versions include support for USB and HotSwap of PCI
    busses (for things like CompactPCI) - look at the Kerneldriver and Windriver
    products on the following page:

    http://www.jungo.com/products.html#driver_tools

    ps. Another dubious case of GPL boundaries perhaps - but I'm not going to
    restart that thread !

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:0.164 seconds]