SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 04:42 -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Would you be kind enough to list "some circumstances" ?

You have a work which is not derived and can reasonably be considered an
independent and separate work in itself, but instead of distributing it
as a separate work you distribute it as part of a whole which is a work
based on a GPL'd Program.

The precise meaning of 'as separate works' and 'part of a whole which is
a work based on the Program' isn't entirely unambiguous.

The GPL tries to clarify it by ruling out 'mere aggregation...on a
volume of a storage or distribution medium' but stating its intent to
control 'collective works'. There's still a little scope for
interpretation though.

My point, however, was that a copyright licence _can_ make such
requirements. It _can_ require you to bathe daily in creosote too, and
if you don't like that you have the option of not using the software
which is licensed that way.

> Also the authoritative (sp) reference supporting the list.

Section 2 of the GPL, which I quoted only moments ago.

--
dwmw2