SubjectRe: [ACPI] IO-APIC on MS-6163 (2.4.23). ACPI?

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 02:40:25PM +0100, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Ryan Underwood writes:
> >
> > Attached dmesg and interrupts with acpi=off. Also attached kernel
> > config.
> >
> > As you see, it acknowledges a local APIC but mentions nothing about
> > IO-APIC. So I guess this isn't ACPI issue after all. But, I wonder why
> > the IO-APIC isn't being used on this board anymore. There was a
> > blacklist entry for it, but it was removed after it was discovered to be
> > in error.
>
> Your dmesg log doesn't mention any MP-table. With neither ACPI MADT
> nor an MP-table the kernel has no way of knowing about any I/O-APIC.
>
> You do have UP_IOAPIC enabled, so the kernel should look for it.
> Please check your BIOS settings, and try with no ACPI at all in the kernel
> (just to verify that acpi=off doesn't prevent MP-table parsing).

I went back and found the messages corresponding to our previous
discussions:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2003-23/1675.html

Looks like again I've confused the local APIC with the IO-APIC regarding
that blacklist entry. However, I thought 440BX had a IO-APIC built-in
to the southbridge. Again, that was proved to be wrong by examining the
integrator's guide:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/designex/29063401.pdf

page 99 of the PDF says:
"An I/O APIC is required for a DP system and optional for a UP system."

So it looks like I've never had an I/O-APIC on this board at all, only a
local APIC, and this thread is thus a waste of time. :)

In any case, thanks for leading me to the right answer!

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.087 / U:0.200 seconds]