SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:02:21AM -0600, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> You are still deriving your binary from a GPL source when a module is loaded.
> The kernel relocation symbols themselves are under GPL.

Even if the relocation symbols are under GPL'ed (there is doubt
whether such symbols are copyrightable --- since things like telephone
numbers are not copyrightable, for example), there is still the issue
that the user is the one which is loading the module, not the person
writing and distributing the module. And at this point, given that
the GPL itself says that it's all about distribution, not about the
use of the GPL'ed software, not to mention the fair use doctrine
(trust me, the open source community does **not** want to narrow what
is considered fair use), there isn't a problem.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.094 / U:1.264 seconds]