    SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

    Jesse,

    Linking to become one with the vmlinux (zen thing) or not able to achieve
    a modular state, you are toast. Loading a module is not linking. Now
    people claim that /proc/kcore is where the dirty work happens.

    Is "/proc/kcore" real?

    What makes it real? Who makes it real?

    If you, the user of the binary module, execute:

    cat /proc/kcore > /kcore.file

    Who combined the works?

    It was not the author(s), it was the effective enduser.

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick
    LAD Storage Consulting Group

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jesse Pollard wrote:

    > On Tuesday 09 December 2003 00:20, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
    > > [ Date: Sometime in the near future. ]
    > >
    > [snip]
    > >
    > > [ Cut to: Bedroom of a comfortable house in the suburbs. Nighttime. ]
    > >
    > > [ Linus - suddenly sits bolt upright in the bed, a horrified expression on
    > > his face: ] "AAAAiiiiiiieeeeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!"
    > >
    > > [ Wife - shaking Linus' shoulder: ] "Honey, wake up, wake up! I think
    > > you're having that horrible nightmare again!"
    > >
    > > And that is why binary drivers will always be allowed under Linux.
    >
    > If that were the problem, then the kernel would be LGPL, and not GPL. LGPL
    > permits linking (shared libraries), GPL doesn't. To me, it boils down to:
    >
    > Link with GPL -> result is GPL.
    > Link with LGPL shared libraries -> result may be anything.
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.024 / U:0.032 seconds]