SubjectRe: [OT?]Re: partially encrypted filesystem
Charles Manning wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 02:44, phillip@lougher.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>Or maybe 'not in(to)-place' :-) I don't think I was saying compression is
>>difficult, it is not difficult if you've designed the filesystem correctly.
>

> Effectively saying that a fs that can't easily support compression is badly
> designed is a dangerous over-simplfication/generalisation/slur.

Apologies all round to anyone who feels offended. What I meant to say
is compression is not that difficult if you design the filesystem from
the outset with compression in mind - retro fitting compression to an
existing filesystem, however, can be very difficult (especially
compressed metadata), and that's why it's not a good idea.

The concept that all well designed filesystems should easily support
compression is wrong, and I didn't intend to imply that.

Phillip

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.063 / U:2.856 seconds]