SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: [OOPS, usbcore, releaseintf] 2.6.0-test10-mm1
[ CC list trimmed, most folk are on one of the cc'd lists ]

> By the way, here is the list of routines that cause trouble for usbfs:
>
> usb_probe_interface

In proc_resetdevice() ... after usb_reset_device().
If usb_reset_device() worked sanely, it wouldn't be
necessary to try fixing up its result. Plus, last I
looked, I don't think usbfs fixed it up correctly.

Actually that call is dangerous and probably should
fail if usbfs isn't controlling all the interfaces
on the device ... checking before it tries.

> usb_reset_device

We've known for some time this routine needs a rewrite.
It's never quite worked right, and it doesn't handle
DFU style devices (like the most common USB 802.11b
adapters) well at all.

> usb_set_configuration

That is, you're saying that _if_ usbfs is modified to
get rid of ps->devsem and use dev->serialize instead,
then you'd need some other way to guard proc_setconfig()
against disconnect? That still seems like a chicken/egg
issue to me.

> usb_unbind_interface

See the patch I posted yesterday evening, with usbfs parts
of the updates to driver binding. It's incorrect for usbfs
ever to be calling that ... device_release_driver() is the
thing to call, for drivers that weren't bound using the
usb_driver_claim_interface() call. That way the sysfs
state also gets cleaned up ...

- Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.492 / U:0.228 seconds]