    SubjectRe: memory hotremove prototype, take 3
    Pavel Machek wrote:

    > hotunplug seems cool... How do you deal with kernel data structures in
    > memory "to be removed"? Or you simply don't allow kmalloc() to
    > allocate there?

    You guessed right. Hot removeable memory can only be allocated
    for uses that we can easily re-allocate. So kmalloc() etc. have
    to get memory from some area that we promise not to ever try to
    remove.

    > During hotunplug, you copy pages to new locaion. Would it simplify
    > code if you forced them to be swapped out, instead? [Yep, it would be
    > slower...]

    There are some pages that will have to be copied (e.g. pages that
    the user "mlock()d" should still be locked in their new location,
    same for hugetlbfs pages).

    -Tony Luck

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.044 / U:30.152 seconds]