    SubjectRe: Some thoughts about stable kernel development
    Date
    On Sunday 09 November 2003 13:50, John Bradford wrote:
    > Hi Linus,
    >
    > [Off-list]
    >
    > Quote from Krzysztof Halasa <khc@pm.waw.pl>:
    > > Such a scenario is real and that way we might
    > > end up with official kernel being unusable for any Internet-connected
    > > tasks for weeks.
    >
    > This does highlight a real issue - I am concerned by the number of
    > posts on sites like lwn.net saying things like, "Oh, I'm using 2.6 as
    > my standard kernel now", when it is clear that a lot of those users
    > simply do not understand the issues.

    At the same time, you _want_ as many testers as you can get finding the
    strange bugs where burning cd's on an ACPI-powered laptop interacts strangely
    with 3D acceleration. And now that we're in the -test series, we want _more_
    of them.

    We know it's not safe. There's a very real risk of a data-eating bug that
    could take out our filesystem (especially if we're using things like software
    suspend). Of course those of us dragging laptops around have a very real
    risk of getting the suckers rained on, dropped, stolen, etc. Very few
    non-laptop computers get run over by one's own car. There's a larger than
    average chance of unintentional beverage interaction too, since the vital
    components are right under the keyboard in the beverage equivalent of ground
    zero. (And don't tell me the hard drive enjoys being right under the
    keyboard, either. Thump, thump, thump...)

    So we have to back up a lot anyway. :)

    99% of computer users don't understand the "issues" of connecting Windows XP
    to the internet, yet they do it anyway. (Well, about 20% of them do. More
    than that use W2k, and more than _that_ still use 98!) I'd say there are a
    lot more issues with XP than 2.6. (For one thing, 2.6 doesn't dial home to
    Linus and tell him what software packages you've installed. :)

    I don't see what point is served by warning people away from a beta, pre-.0
    release. I think we know. Security considerations are just one more element
    of the party mix, and most of these are local (they've got to have broken
    into the box ANYWAY, it just potentially lets 'em crack root once they're
    in).

    I'm still a lot more worried about what the kernel's doing to my filesystem
    than what some malicious twit on the internet is likely to do. That's the
    main reason it's still -test...

    Rob

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.028 / U:184.536 seconds]