    SubjectRe: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt
    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, John Bradford wrote:

    > Quote from Linus Torvalds <>:
    > > ide-scsi has always been broken. You should not use it, and indeed there
    > > was never any good reason for it existing AT ALL. But because of a broken
    > > interface to cdrecord, cdrecord historically only wanted to touch SCSI
    > > devices. Ergo, a silly emulation layer that wasn't really worth it.
    > Hmmm, but ide-scsi is used for a lot more than cd recorders these
    > days. Alan mentioned 'crazy' SATA devices back in April.

    I mentioned ide tapes and ZIP drives, Linus didn't mention how one gets
    around those.

    > (Not that I'm suggesting that it is particularly sane to deal with an
    > SATA connected printer by presenting it as a SCSI device, but I just
    > can't see how ide-scsi could successfully be removed now :-( )

    And I don't see the joy of doing so. Unless someone wants to write new
    versions of all the SCSI software out in use, a lot of functionality is
    lost. In the long run it might have been better to simply fix or rewrite
    ide-scsi and stop using the ide interface, becuase disk manufacturers
    certainly aren't going to stop making scsi and it needs to be supported
    anyway. I guess Doug Gilbert is doing other things now, I would have
    expected at least an opinion out of him ;-)

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.019 / U:52.652 seconds]