    SubjectRe: CPU-Test similar to Memtest?
    bill davidsen wrote:
    > In article <1067379433.6281.575.camel@tubarao>,
    > Thayne Harbaugh <> wrote:
    > | On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 09:05, Robert L. Harris wrote:
    > | > I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to make
    > | > a bootable CD
    > |
    > | Memtest86 is good, but it isn't as good as it could be. Many times I
    > | have seen it run 24 hours without error even though the the system has
    > | bad memory.
    > |
    > | > but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or such
    > | > utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real well
    > | > and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.
    > |
    > | Run Linpack (or other computationally intensive program) while
    > | monitoring ECC errors with either
    > |
    > | or
    > |
    > I agree with almost everything you said, but I have seen cases in which
    > no CPU use would generate an error, but using heavy DMA io in addition
    > triggered the problem. If all else fails add your favorite disk test.

    Cpuburn is a good test to run on x86's. That said I've only seen it
    fail in 2 systems out of ~20,000. Generally cpu erros will crash your
    system before the error is printed to the screen.

    Also compiling your kernel in a loop is a good way to shake loose
    cpu, and memory issue. I've often found this finds errors much quicker
    many memory tests.

    You might want to try ctcs. "Make ; "./new-burn -t"
    Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
    (The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
    Sam Flory <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.021 / U:30.920 seconds]