    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] QLogic qla2xxx driver update available (v8.00.00b6).
    On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 05:53:06PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

    > > o Build process -- (three module interface for the ISPs), I
    > > personally like the idea of a shared library module used
    > > between the different ISP drivers. Many others have voiced
    > > their frustrations with the single driver-binary for each
    > > ISP type that the directive from management is to have a
    > > single binary for all *future* products including the
    > > ISP23xx (ISP2300/ISP2310/ISP2312/ISP2322) chips.
    > >
    > > That unfortunately leaves ISP2100 and ISP2200 on the
    > > periphery of development efforts.
    > I wouldn't see a problem with having a structure like this:
    > ql2100.c
    > ql2200.c
    > ql23xx.c
    > qllib.c
    > and linking in whichever files are selected. But you definitely only want
    > to build qllib.c once.

    Well, if you look at the driver you'll need all files except the firmware
    anyway. And now that we have the request_firmware interface anyway I'd
    bebetter to move that out of the module, at least once initramfs settles down
    a bit.

    The issue is more lots of tiny ifdefs - those in the C source could be easily
    hidden using pdev->device comparisms (and I think I'm gonna submit a patch
    for that soon, the driver already does that for ISP23XX variants without
    a proper abstraction). Those in the headers are a bit more difficult as the
    register layout is a bit different sometimes. But with doing these as unions
    instead of ifdefs and splitted subroutines this should be managæble as well,
    the feral driver already does this nicely.

    Christoph Hellwig <> - Freelance Hacker
    Contact me for driver hacking and kernel development consulting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.033 / U:38.864 seconds]