    Subjectundo an mke2fs !!
    Hi Ted and others,

    I created a new partition on my disk, and without
    noticing the change in the hdaX of the partition i did
    an mke2fs /dev/hdaX. :(

    Unfortunately it was my /home partition and was an
    ext3 partition earlier. Can anyone please advice on
    how to
    retrieve the old data.

    I read that mke2fs nukes all the meta information, so
    does that mean all inodes are destroyed and there is
    no hope for me ?!?!?

    i did a cat /dev/hdaX > /dev/hdaY, which was an empty
    partition earlier so that I can play around a bit. I
    tried couple of things with debugfs but coudn't go
    much far.

    thanks
    john