    SubjectRe: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt
    Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
    > bill davidsen wrote:
    >
    >> In article <3FA8CA87.2070201@gmx.de>,
    >> Prakash K. Cheemplavam <prakashkc@gmx.de> wrote:
    >>
    >> | Sorry, I wasn't precise: The data is on the disc, as my DVD-ROM
    >> restores | the full image (md5sum matches), but the CD-RW does not.
    >>
    >> There is a problem with ide-scsi in 2.6, and rather than fix it someone
    >> came up with a patch to cdrecord to allow that application to work

    > b) The writing or reading issue mentioned above. It is a bit hard to
    > find out, whether cdrecord actually *writes* an incomplete image
    > (without using -pad), ie. throwing away the last 4096 bytes, which
    > *only* happens in non-TAO mode. The programme CDRDAO shows the same
    > behaviour. Strange enough reading this DAO written image out with my
    > DVD-ROM makes this (missing?) 4096 bytes reappear... Well, maybe I
    > should patch the image and put some other bytes instead of the 00s at
    > the end to see, whether it is a write issue, a read issue of the writer
    > or a read issue of the reader. Anyway, it doesn't sound right to me,
    > what is happening at the moment...

    So tested further: I patched the very last byts of the image and these
    are my findings:

    In DAO mode, the complete image is actually written, but the writer is
    not able to read it out! The last 4096 bytes are not read. I put the
    CD-RW into my DVD-ROM, and it reads it out completely.

    So: Is cdrecord/cdrdao making something wrong (yes, I know I can use
    -pad, but I want an *identical copy*) or has the kernel ATAPI reading
    routine a bug? (Or has my drive a bug???? Well, I need to read the disc
    out in windows I guess...)

    Prakash

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:88.932 seconds]