    SubjectRe: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt
    On Wed, Nov 05 2003, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
    > Jens Axboe wrote:

    > >>Uhm, could you be more specific? I just use the k3b frontend to burn,
    > >>and in the cdrdao manual I couldn't find something useful to it.
    > >

    > >it's a cdrecord option, I've never used k3b so cannot comment on how to
    > >make it enable that.
    >
    > Hmm, I'll take a look, but I don't really think it is a problem of the
    > recording programme, otherwise how could my reader read it out completely?

    It isn't a problem of the recorder program. But some drives wont read
    the very end of a disc unless there are some pad blocks at the end.
    Thus, you should always use the cdrecord pad option.

    > >>SOmething else I noticed with new 2.6tes9-mm2 kernel: Now the mouse
    > >>stutters slighty when burning (in atapi mode). I am now using as
    > >>sheduler. Shoudl I try deadline or do you this it is something else?
    > >>Should I open a new topic?
    > >

    > >k3b is probably still going through ide-scsi which you must not. It
    > >would be interesting if you could try without ide-scsi and use cdrecord
    > >manually (maybe someone more knowledgable on k3b can common on whether
    > >they support 2.6 or not). 2.6 will be a lot faster than 2.4.
    >
    > No, it uses atapi as a) it claims to be compatible with it and b) I have

    SG_IO or CDROM_SEND_PACKET? The latter should never have been merged in
    cdrecord, and you should never use it. If it is using SG_IO, I'm very
    interested in knowing more. vmstat 1 while doing the burn would be
    interesting, just for 10 seconds where you see the problem.

    > neither activated scsi nor scsi-emulation in the kernel, so it most

    Great

    > probably is a new issue. Furthermore my hd reading (I once contacted you
    > because of that) didn't improve with the new kernel, though some
    > bugfixes in this directions are mentioned by Andrew Morton.

    Don't remember, sorry :)

    --
    Jens Axboe