    SubjectRe: [RFC] KBUILD 2.5 issues/regressions

    I am sorry to reopen this thread but as we hit the same issues in Mandrake
    I hope someone can advice.

    > On Friday 11 July 2003 19:01, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

    > > > I cannot see how you can make modversions modules without first building
    > > > vmlinux. This "RPM" presumably does not ship with vmlinux constructed
    > >
    > > It does actually.

    But is it really enough? modpost needs all modules to extract symbol versions
    so it means kernel-source should actually ship all module.o files.

    > Ah. In that case, I suppose it's all moot and won't end up being an issue. It
    > just strikes me that vmlinux would not have to be included in a distro 2.4
    > kernel, because it is not a "dependency" of the build system. If this is how
    > distros will operate, then just forget about it.

    Mandrake and AFAIK RedHat ship single 2.4 kernel source that allos building
    external module for any currently running distribution kernel. While this
    could be tweaked using symlinks it means that kernel-source needs to be
    shipped with copies of vmlinux and *all modules.o for every kernel flavour
    in distribution. As of this writing Mandrake includes 6 or 7 kernel versions.
    It is rather too much :(

    So it is still an issue. I am thinking about some way to direct modpost
    to extract versions out of /boot/vmlinuz and /lib/modules if it detects
    pristine distribution sources

    To recap - currently under Mandrake and RH it is possible to do

    rpm -i kernel-source
    cd /external/module/src

    and it will automatically create module for currently running kernel as long
    as kernel is distribution kernel without any extra configuration.

    It appears that to support same functionality on 2.6 modversions need to be disabled ...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.029 / U:41.312 seconds]