SubjectRe: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)
Date
Hello,

Julien Oster wrote:

> No, it's most evidently a mainboard problem, as everybody using an
> ASUS A7N8X (Deluxe) reported so far that the mainboard will lock up
> completely unless you turn of ACPI, APIC and local APIC. There is no
> other possibility to work this lockup madness around, as many users of
> that mainboard including me really tried *everything*.
>
> We know that other NForce2 Mainboards don't have this kind of problem,
> but sadly that isn't of any help whatsoever for us A7N8X users.

I can't agree. I've had experiences with two Epox mobos - 8RDA+ running
2.6-test kernels and 8RDA3+ running 2.4.22 kernel.

Both of them locked completely up sometimes (that was after week or so
without reboot). It seems that compiling Local-APIC out of kernel has
stopped this behaviour. It's been about a month without lockups for 2.4
machine. 2.6 hasn't locked up either but it gets a new kernel and a reboot
every week anyway.

Actually the machine with 2.4 kernel run initially 1.5 months without a
glitch (and Local-APIC compiled in) before it started to lock up weekly. I
don't know why. Anyway as I said disabling Local-APIC has stopped all those
lockups.

Lenar

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.032 / U:0.164 seconds]