SubjectRe: allocating netlink families?
David S. Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:43:20 -0800
> Dan Kegel <dkegel@ixiacom.com> wrote:
>

>>Has there been any discussion of how one should pick
>>netlink family numbers for new stuff like netkeeper?
>>Sure, everyone could use NETLINK_USERSOCK, but
>>that means only one new netlink module could be resident at a time...
>

> When it's determined to be useful and to be added to
> the main kernel sources, we'll allocate a number.
> Before that time, there is no need to allocate. We'd
> run out quickly if everyone with a funny netlink thing they
> wanted to do asked for a number.

I guess I was really wondering what somebody who wants to
use two netlink things in the same system should do. Steal
family 31, I suppose. Ah, well.
I'll just happily use NETLINK_USERSOCK, and won't ask about
clashes until I really run into one.

- Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.036 / U:0.152 seconds]