    SubjectRe: amanda vs 2.6
    Date
    On Thursday 27 November 2003 08:39, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    >On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 05:05:50AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> My $0.02, but performance like that would scare a new user right
    >> back to winderz.
    >> Around here, its thanksgiving day, and we traditionally eat way
    >> too much turkey (or something like that :) And then complain
    >> about the weight we've gained of course...
    >
    >This isn't a performance problem. This is a bug. It vaguely sounds
    > like a missed wakeup or missing setting of TIF_NEED_RESCHED, but
    > could be a number of other things too.
    >
    >(The missing setting of TIF_NEED_RESCHED theory is right if it's
    >possible to clean up after it by ignoring need_resched() in the
    >scheduler and always rescheduling.)
    >

    >-- wli

    Another data point about this, still unsolved problem:

    The number of times I can do an 'su amanda' then exit, and redo the it
    seem to be somewhat random, One test I managed to get to the 4th su
    before it hung. I turned on the linux normal security stuff in the
    .config, rebuilt and rebooted. It had been off previously because
    this machine is behind a firewall.

    That time I only got one free ride, it hung on the next attempt. So I
    left it hung, and put the ksysguard highlight line on the hung su
    process, then put ksysguard into the tree mode. The last item in the
    branch was an 'stty', which was reported to be 'stopped'. I killed
    it. I got my prompt back, as the user amanda, confirmed by a whoami.

    Another data point that might be a clue is that there appears to be no
    such restriction if the 'su amanda -c "command"' syntax is used. The
    only place that hangs is if I try to do an amcheck after refilling
    the tape robots magazine, under 2.4.22 ti will load the last tape
    slot and resume the search thru the magazine for the right tape.
    Under 2.60-test-whatever, I'm getting a signal 11 from the chg-scsi
    script after a long delay, but it does load from the last loaded
    tapeslot in the magazine. If I simply up-arrow and repeat, it works
    as the first pass did load the tape just fine.

    I think these are really two seperate problems.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:0.116 seconds]