    SubjectRe: BUG (non-kernel), can hurt developers.
    On Nov-26 2003, Wed, 10:29 -0800
    Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

    > You can't just randomly use library functions in signal handlers. You can
    > only use a very specific "signal-safe" set.
    > POSIX lists that set in (3f), and says
    > "All POSIX.1 functions not in the preceding table and all
    > functions defined in the C standard {2} not stated to be callable
    > from a signal-catching function are considered to be /unsafe/
    > with respect to signals. .."
    > typos mine.
    > The thing is, they have internal state that makes then non-reentrant (and
    > note that even the re-entrant ones might not be signal-safe, since they
    > may have deadlock issues: being thread-safe is _not_ the same as being
    > signal-safe).

    I believe it would be very useful to have this information included in
    the standard Linux signal(2) manpage. (I've just verified it's not in

    What do you think, Andries?

    Tomas Szepe <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.019 / U:13.568 seconds]