    SubjectRe: amanda vs 2.6
    On Thursday 27 November 2003 12:16, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >On Thursday 27 November 2003 08:39, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    >>On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 05:05:50AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >>> My $0.02, but performance like that would scare a new user right
    >>> back to winderz.
    >>> Around here, its thanksgiving day, and we traditionally eat way
    >>> too much turkey (or something like that :) And then complain
    >>> about the weight we've gained of course...
    >>This isn't a performance problem. This is a bug. It vaguely sounds
    >> like a missed wakeup or missing setting of TIF_NEED_RESCHED, but
    >> could be a number of other things too.
    >>(The missing setting of TIF_NEED_RESCHED theory is right if it's
    >>possible to clean up after it by ignoring need_resched() in the
    >>scheduler and always rescheduling.)
    >Well, running 2.6.0-test11, I just discovered I'm back to being
    > unable to 'su amanda' again. It worked the first time, but I got
    > rejected frorm unpacking the lastest amanda-2.4.4p1-20031126.tar.gz
    > due to a lack of permissions, so I exited, chowned the archive to
    > what it was supposed to be, but cannot now do another su amanda in
    > order to start the install of this latest snapshot.
    >The process just hangs, never comeing back to a prompt. I never had
    >any troubles with that useing test9, so I guess its reboot time
    >However, IMO this is a major problem, and needs fixed before 2.6.0.

    Rebooted to 2.6.0-test10, deadline scheduler now, and have managed to
    do an 'su amanda' at least twice without any hangs.

    Three times now, no problems. 4 times, exited the last one with a
    ctrl-d instead of an exit string, and now the 5th time is hung. Is
    ctrl-d no longer a valid shell exit option? Finding the su PID, and
    catting /proc/PID/wchan returns this just as it did yesterday:

    [root@coyote root]# ps -ea |grep su
    26658 pts/1 00:00:00 su
    [root@coyote root]# cat /proc/26658/wchan
    sys_wait4[root@coyote root]#

    Comment on schedulers, deadline seems to leave me with the snappiest
    machine response, with cfq a close second. The default anticipatory
    just doesn't have the right 'feel' to it.

    Also, setiathome only did 3 units yesterday, and it normally does 4 to
    5. With the overcommit_memory non-zeroed, the machine was an
    arthritic, stuttering as it barked, spastic dog.

    Or, any cat could have caught that mouse...

    Cheers, Gene
    AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
    Athlon1600XP@1400mhz 512M
    99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attornies please note, additions to this message
    by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.025 / U:0.048 seconds]