    SubjectRe: exiting X and rebooting
    On Thursday 27 November 2003 08:14, Daniel Drake wrote:
    >Which display driver are you using for X?

    XFree's nv from 4.2.1. Card is a GForce2 MX-200. Sorry, I should have
    included that info.

    > Xinerama/multi-displays or similar?

    No, just an elderly NEC 5FG that refuses to die of old age.

    >I noticed this behaviour once
    > on a dual-monitor setup. After starting X then exiting it, I
    > noticed the problems that you describe on the primary monitor.
    > However the secondary monitor was showing the output as normal
    > (including cursor) if I remember correctly.
    >Both displays were running from a single GeForce4 Ti card, using the
    > nvidia binary driver under X. No framebuffer.
    >Never found the problem, but never really investigated either.
    >Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> Greetings;
    >> I'm not sure what category this minor complaint falls under, but
    >> since its evidenced by a 2.6 kernel and not a 2.4, this seems like
    >> the place.
    >> One of the things I've been meaning to mention is that if I'm
    >> running a 2.6 kernel, and exit X to reboot, the shell that had a
    >> cursor when I started X from it, no longer has a cursor when x has
    >> been stopped. This occurs only for 2.6 kernels, but works as usual
    >> for 2.4 kernels giving a big full character block for a cursor.
    >> One can still type, and the keystrokes are echo'd properly. But
    >> it is a bit un-nerving at first. Logging clear out and back in
    >> again to re-init the shell doesn't help. The cursor is gone.

    Cheers, Gene
    AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
    Athlon1600XP@1400mhz 512M
    99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attornies please note, additions to this message
    by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.035 / U:13.228 seconds]