    SubjectRe: exiting X and rebooting
    Date
    On Thursday 27 November 2003 07:16, Helge Hafting wrote:
    >On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:17:03AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> Greetings;
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what category this minor complaint falls under, but
    >> since its evidenced by a 2.6 kernel and not a 2.4, this seems like
    >> the place.
    >>
    >> One of the things I've been meaning to mention is that if I'm
    >> running a 2.6 kernel, and exit X to reboot, the shell that had a
    >> cursor when I started X from it, no longer has a cursor when x has
    >> been stopped. This occurs only for 2.6 kernels, but works as usual
    >> for 2.4 kernels giving a big full character block for a cursor.
    >>
    >> One can still type, and the keystrokes are echo'd properly. But
    >> it is a bit un-nerving at first. Logging clear out and back in
    >> again to re-init the shell doesn't help. The cursor is gone.
    >
    >This seems like a framebuffer problem to me, are you using a
    > framebuffer, and if so, which one?
    >
    >Helge Hafting

    Good Q Helge, see this big dummies .config snippets:

    [root@coyote linux-2.6]# grep FRAME .config
    CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y
    [root@coyote linux-2.6]# grep VESA .config
    CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

    Since the card is an NVIDIA GForce2 MX200, and X is using its own "nv"
    driver, which one should I turn off?

    Thanks.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.026 / U:1.400 seconds]