    SubjectRe: 2.6 not cat proof
    bert hubert <> said on Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:10:52 +0100:
    > This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
    > 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
    > I found my cat asleep on the warm laptop, it is winter here, and the
    > keyboard was dead. Mouse still works, but I had to reboot before I could use
    > the keyboard again. Restarting X, which I could do with the mouse, did not
    > help.

    Are you sure he didn't press alt-sysreq-r or something? Mine has at
    various times, pressed ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-delete,
    alt-sysrq-b (without s and u first, bastard), and the power button
    directly. This is all on a laptop, so sysrq requires you pressing fn

    One of the cats have also turned my heater on by the touch sensetive
    buttons, in the middle of summer while I was out for the day. The
    heater, and the power button now have molly gaurds, but the key
    combinations are hard to gaurd against.

    Read the fvwm webpage - most of the developers of fvwm have cats, and
    have, IIRC, documented various ways around their key typing
    habits. IIRC, there is a package that at least detects when a cat is
    walking across a keyboard, and forces you to click the mouse in a
    window under X. Won't stop the kernel crashing, but will do something.

    In all seriousness, on my laptop, (do to this and other reasons, I
    have stopped using 2.6 for the time being), when I pressed h and j (or
    something like that) at the same time, when I realeased one of the
    keys, I got some kernel warning like "invalid keyscan" or
    something. Never wrote it down, sorry.

    TimC --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:0.148 seconds]