SubjectRe: amanda vs 2.6

Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:43:43PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>>>No, it just hangs forever on the su command, never coming back.
>>>everything else I tried, which wasn't much, seemed to keep on working
>>>as I sent that message with that hung su process in another shell on
>>>another window. I'm an idiot, normally running as root...
>>>I've rebooted, not knowing if an echo 0 to that variable would fix it
>>>or not, I see after the reboot the default value is 0 now.
>>>
>>Okay, then we need to figure out what the hung process was doing.
>>Can you find its pid and check /proc/$PID/wchan?
>>

>I've seen this before, and I'll bet you 5c (yeah, I'm cheap) that it's
>trying to log to syslogd.
>
>And syslogd is stopped for some reason - either a bug, a mistaken SIGSTOP,
>or simply because the console has been stopped with a simple ^S.
>
>That won't stop "su" working immediately - programs can still log to
>syslogd until the logging socket buffer fills up. Which can be _damn_
>frsutrating to find (I haven't seen this behaviour lately, but I remember
>being perplexed like hell a long time ago).

Same problem here. Been seeing them now and again for quite a while
I have syslogd and klogd sleeping in do_syslog. cron and login are
sleeping in schedule_timeout. A sysrq+T gets things going again but
unfortunately the interesting state probably wasn't captured. I have
the /proc/*/wchan and sysrq+t trace if anyone is interested.

I'll try any suggestions of what I should look at when I hit it again.

Nick

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.081 / U:0.420 seconds]