    SubjectRe: [RFC] generalise scheduling classes
    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > bill davidsen wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > >Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    > >
    > >| We still don't have an HT aware scheduler, which is unfortunate because
    > >| weird stuff like that looks like it will only become more common in future.
    > >
    > >The idea is hardly new, in the late 60's GE (still a mainframe vendor at
    > >that time) was looking at two execution units on a single memory path.
    > >They decided it would have problems with memory bandwidth, what else is
    > >new?
    > >
    > I don't think I said new, but I guess they (SMT, NUMA, CMP) are newish
    > for architectures supported by Linux Kernel. OK NUMA has been around for
    > a while, but the scheduler apparently doesn't work so well for atypical
    > new NUMAs like Opteron.

    You didn't say new, I wasn't correcting you, just thought that the
    historical perspective might be interesting. I would love to try the new
    scheduler, but my test computer is not pleased with Fedora.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.029 / U:0.224 seconds]