    SubjectRe: Copy protection of the floppies
    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, [iso-8859-1] Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> About 15 years ago, there were many gaming softwares which were procected,
    (it was more than 15 years ago.)
    >> for example, by checking "gap" between sectors.
    >
    >Can't that be done with a regular floppy drive and some special
    >software?

    Please heed the lessons already learned in the software industry...
    Copy protection doesn't work. It works about as well as locks on doors
    as it'll keep the honest people honest, and offer a small obstacle to
    the dishonest.

    As others have stated, anything *you* can do with a PC floppy drive, *I*
    can do. (And given this thread, I can probablly do a few things you
    currently cannot.) Ultimately, any copy protection comes down to
    the software on the floppy. If the machine can read it to execute it,
    the hacker can read it to remove the checks. No ammount of hand-waving
    will change that. (That, btw, is why the DMCA, et. al., exist.)

    --Ricky

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.021 / U:60.944 seconds]