    SubjectRe: Copy protection of the floppies
    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / .$B5HF#1QL@.(B <> writes:
    > > Basically, it depends on what kind of equipment you and the enemy
    > > have. If you have special equipment and technique to write a
    > > floppy, you can make a floppy which is not copiable by normal PCs.
    > > But, if the enemy has similar equipment, he can do it.
    > >
    > > About 15 years ago, there were many gaming softwares which were procected,
    > > for example, by checking "gap" between sectors.
    > Can't that be done with a regular floppy drive and some special
    > software?

    It depends. Checking gap length (exactly) and location of one track
    relative to the next would require drives with synchronized spindles to
    copy the data iff the gap information is used as encryption key. Whether
    Linux is up to the task, is something different. Last time I tried such
    a thing was in the good old Commodore 1541 days which also supported
    half-steps between tracks and stepping after 1/3rd track or some things.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.037 / U:147.968 seconds]