    SubjectRe: hyperthreading
    Måns Rullgård writes:

    > >> P4 does not support HT ... only Xeon and new generation P4-HT does.
    > >
    > > OK, but if this CPU does not support HT, then why 'ht' is shown at
    > > flags in /proc/cpuinfo? It looks like quite illogical for me then ...
    > I've been wondering about that myself. I'm sure my P4M doesn't have
    > any hyperthreading.

    Don't people read Intel docs any more?

    - The HT feature flag means "might have HT, check further to make sure".
    - "check further" involves checking #siblings >= 2 via CPUID.
    Old P4s typically announce HT but have #siblings < 2.
    - Intel made HT enabling a hardware thing via the chipset (a pin
    sampled at reset). BIOS can disable HT but only HW can enable it.
    This is why you can't put a HT-capable P4 in a non-HT-chipset
    machine and expect it to work -- although PowerLeap seemed to
    have an adapter to "fix" that.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.050 / U:3.396 seconds]