    SubjectRe: [RFC] Make balance_dirty_pages zone aware (1/2)
    "Martin J. Bligh" <> wrote:
    > "dd if=/dev/zero of=foo" would trigger it, I'd think. Watching the IO
    > rate, it should go wierd after ram is full (on a 3 or more node system,
    > so there's < 40% of RAM for each node).

    Also, note that page_writeback_init() will not allow 40% of memory to be
    dirtied on such a system. it is set much lower, partly to avoid an
    explosion of unreclaimable buffer_heads.

    bk revtool sez:

    - Allowing 40% of physical memory to be dirtied on massive ia32 boxes
    is unreasonable. It pins too many buffer_heads and contribues to
    page reclaim latency.

    The patch changes the initial value of
    /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio, dirty_async_ratio and (the
    presently non-functional) dirty_sync_ratio so that they are reduced
    when the highmem:lowmem ratio exceeds 4:1.

    These ratios are scaled so that as the highmem:lowmem ratio goes
    beyond 4:1, the maximum amount of allowed dirty memory ceases to
    increase. It is clamped at the amount of memory which a 4:1 machine
    is allowed to use.

    - Aggressive reduction in the dirty memory threshold at which
    background writeback cuts in. 2.4 uses 30% of ZONE_NORMAL. 2.5 uses
    40% of total memory. This patch changes it to 10% of total memory
    (if total memory <= 4G. Even less otherwise - see above).

    This means that:

    - Much more writeback is performed by pdflush.

    - When the application is generating dirty data at a moderate
    rate, background writeback cuts in much earlier, so memory is
    cleaned more promptly.

    - Reduces the risk of user applications getting stalled by writeback.

    - Will damage dbench numbers. It turns out that the damage is
    fairly small, and dbench isn't a worthwhile workload for

    - Moderate reduction in the dirty level at which the write(2) caller
    is forced to perform writeback (throttling). Was 40% of total
    memory. Is now 30% of total memory (if total memory <= 4G, less

    This is to reduce page reclaim latency, and generally because
    allowing processes to flood the machine with dirty data is a bad
    thing in mixed workloads.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:21.156 seconds]