    SubjectRe: Announce: ndiswrapper
    Date
    Jean> Jeff Garzik wrote :
    >> Pontus Fuchs wrote:
    > Please! I don't want to start a flamewar if this is a good thing to
    > do. I'm just trying to scratch my own itch and I doubt that this
    > project changes the way Broadcom treats Linux users.
    >>
    >> Then help us reverse engineer the driver :)
    >>
    >> Jeff

    Jean> Even better :
    Jean> 1) go to the Wireless LAN Howto
    Jean> 2) find a card are supported under Linux that suit your needs
    Jean> 3) buy this card
    Jean> I don't see the point of giving our money to vendors that don't
    Jean> care about us when there are vendors making a real effort toward
    Jean> us. Regards,

    Unfortunately, this means you can't buy a "Centrino"-based
    laptop. Actually, that pretty much means you can't get any recent
    laptop.

    I'd like on this occasion to remind everyone that Intel left Linux out
    in the cold in spite of loud announcements of upcoming Linux support for
    the "Centrino" marketing thing (see for example
    http://news.com.com/2100-1006-993896.html or
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-993896.html or
    http://www.intel.com/support/notebook/centrino/sb/cs-006059-prd955.htm).

    There is of course the "Intel Support of Centrino Under Linux" petition
    (http://www.petitiononline.com/xanthan/petition.html), which seems to
    have done some good as the aforementioned Intel page has been updated to
    say the drivers are "under development".

    Still, even if they are "under development", this means some other
    operating systems have had an unfair over one-year advantage over
    Linux. That's a *big, long* advantage.

    I'm a bit surprised that nobody has sued Intel yet for unfair market
    practices, as providing documentation on chipset workings to select
    vendors certainly constitutes one. But I guess that's politics, nobody
    wants to mess with the big guys, it's better to play along and get early
    access to server architectures.

    I find it rather sad that Michael Robertson has so far been the only one
    to speak up: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/29840.html. Why is
    RedHat (for example) sitting quietly? Whining about lack of success of
    Linux on the desktop seems to be a silly thing to do if Linux doesn't
    even WORK properly on the desktop machine.

    The reason I wrote this posting is because I think reverse-engineering
    the drivers forever is not a long-term solution. Vendors should start
    feeling the pressure.

    --J.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.041 / U:1.128 seconds]