    SubjectRe: What exactly are the issues with 2.6.0-test10 preempt?
    Mr. Torvalds,

    --- Linus Torvalds <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Bradley Chapman wrote:
    > >
    > > What sort of information would you like me to provide, sir? The bug you're
    > > discussing here isn't affecting me; CONFIG_PREEMPT has been solid on
    > 2.6.0-test10.
    > > This is on a Gateway 600S laptop with a P4-M 2Ghz processor and an i845
    > Brookdale
    > > chipset.
    > Basically, there's something strange going on, which _seems_ to be memory
    > corruption, and seems to correlate reasonable well (but not 100%) with

    Ah, I see. I thought there was a definite issue with a certain subsystem that
    just hadn't been fixed yet when CONFIG_PREEMPT=y.

    > It's actually unlikely to be preemption itself that is broken: it's much
    > more likely that some driver or other subsystem is broken, and preempt is
    > just better at triggering it by making some race conditions much easier to
    > see due to bigger windows for them to happen.
    > The problem is finding enough of a pattern to the reports to make sense of
    > what seems to be the common thread. A lot of people use preemption without
    > any trouble.

    Indeed. Do the same subsystems usually show the memory corruption issue with
    preempt active, or does it just pop up all over the place, unpredictably?

    > Linus

    Do you Yahoo!?
    Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.019 / U:32.892 seconds]