    SubjectRe: data from
    On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 04:34:43PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
    > > On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 03:05:24PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > > Attempt to copy the raw drive to /dev/null. If that works, the
    > > > drive is likely okay, but the fs got fsucked up by software. You
    > > > might be able to mount the drive on a 2.4.22 machine if you have a
    > > > spare. Then you might be able to selectively copy important stuff
    > > > to another drive, after which you can make a new file-system as
    > > > a "repair".
    > >
    > > The error messages Larry reported were obviously reported by the
    > > hardware, and were **not** filesystem errors.
    > >
    > > - Ted
    > Yes but an attempt to read beyond the limits of the physical
    > drive will provide you with a lot of **interesting** hardware
    > errors. This happens if the file-system gets corrupt.

    Yeah, I think Richard may be right. Anyway, the drive sort of reads
    from the raw partition. It gets a IDE reset and then it reads. I can
    read it a second time with no reset. Haven't tried a reboot between
    reads, hang on, yeah, a reboot brings the errors back.

    But, fscking the dd-ed image gets me less errors so I'm trying that
    route to get the data back.
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:7.620 seconds]