    SubjectRe: data from
    On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 02:17:44PM -0500, Ricky Beam wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > >Sorry to be short but I already said that I'd eliminated this source of
    > >error. What did you think I was doing all weekend?
    > Let me be equally short. Your original message gave no details of what
    > debugging steps had been taken. (I can assume you would know what you're
    > doing, but frankly, I could be wrong.) You venture a guess that the
    > system had been h4x0r3d in some inventive way to prevent your attempts
    > to recover data and proceed to paste error messages from the 3ware
    > driver that indicate a problem with the hardware (either driver bug,
    > cabling, controller, or channel on that controller) including the
    > drive itself.
    > Please do not attribute to hackers what is simply a half dead drive. So,
    > was the machine powered down for an extended period as I aluded? (to
    > preserve the machine until someone had time to look at it.)

    As I said, *both* drives have extensive file system problems. No, the
    machine was not powered down for a long time, and no, neither of these
    drives are old, and no, they are not from the same factory batch (they
    aren't even the same vendor, one is a Maxtor and the other is a Seagate),
    and yes, I of course tried different cable/controller/machine combos.

    Any other questions?
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.021 / U:10.496 seconds]