    SubjectRe: Intel E1000 and IDE problems
    One more thing to add:

    After a few of those kind of freezes the BIOS won't even recognize the
    Harddisk anymore, I had to turn on the machine without the harddisk in it
    then I forced the bios to update ESCD and the put back the harddrive in it
    and worked. Somehow those cards affect the system anyway. ( even only in
    CMOS setup )

    On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:22:17PM +0200, Teodor Iacob wrote:
    > I found something really interesting. I am now able to reproduce problems
    > exactly at the same point:
    >
    > If I boot the machine without ethernet cables connected before loading
    > the kernel the machine seems to work fine for a while. If I put for
    > example a crossover cable between the cards I cannot even boot the system!
    > right after the kernel initialization after it starts the init I get
    > IDE errors and then freezes because it cannot run the commands in
    > rc.sysinit.
    >
    > I have to mention I also tried the built-in driver of intel e1000.
    > The 5.2.20 of course it was loaded as a module at network scripts
    > initialization.
    >
    > So the problems trims down to how can those NICs can affect the IDE
    > only when they have cables connected ( even though without the driver
    > initialization they don't have the led link on ) even without traffic
    > going through them.
    >
    > On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:02:27PM -0800, Feldman, Scott wrote:
    > > > I recently put up 2 intel network adapters:
    > > > 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82545EM Gigabit
    > > > Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    > > > 00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82545EM Gigabit
    > > > Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    > > >
    > > > ( I replaced some Intel PRO1000 Desktop which I had before ) and now
    > > > I get serious problems with the hda disk:
    > >
    > > Did you put the 82545 nics in the same slots where you had the desktop
    > > nics?
    > >
    > > Are the 82545 nics on the same bus segment as the disk controller? Are
    > > there any shared interrupts? See lcpci -vvv.
    > >
    > > -scott
    > > -

    Teodor Iacob,
    Manager Infrastructura Nationala