    SubjectRe: Announce: ndiswrapper
    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:38:48 PST, William Lee Irwin III said:

    > It's very much a second-class flavor of open source. They dare not
    > change the kernel version lest the binary-only trainwreck explode.
    > They dare not run with the whiz-bang patches going around they're
    > interested in lest the binary-only trainwreck explode. It may oops
    > in mainline, and all they can do is wait for a tech support line to
    > answer. Well, they're a little better than that, they have hackers
    > out and about, but you're still stuck waiting for a specific small
    > set of individuals and lose all of the "many eyes" advantages.

    On the flip side, if I go back as far as 2.5.4<mumble>, I've had a lot more
    days where the open-source drivers for my Xircom ethernet/modem card were
    broken than days where my binary NVidia driver was broken. Also, the Xircom
    has been the cause of a lot more "hang before even single user mode" problems,
    and several times the Xircom didn't start working again until there was a
    complete overhaul of the Cardbus support, while there's not been that much
    activity on the NVidia patch on

    It's certainly seemed like I've ended up "stuck waiting for a specific
    small set of individuals" when the Cardbus support has broken (not to
    slight them, they're all great guys and do support the stuff) - how many
    people on this list *really* understand that code? And it's not just
    the Cardbus stuff - there's a LOT of stuff in the kernel that's only
    really understood by a very small number of people.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:14.864 seconds]