    SubjectRe: Announce: ndiswrapper
    Jean Tourrilhes [jt@bougret.hpl.hp.com] wrote:

    > My point is : why buy this laptop if it's not 100%
    > supported ? They are plenty of other laptops...

    There are not plenty. By the time you limit yourself to:
    1) No nvidia
    2) Supported wireless
    3) Non-winmodem
    4) OSS driver for sound
    5) Not paying for windoze
    you're left with a fairly small set of laptops and vendors, and I
    haven't even started considering the hardware I *do* want yet.
    (processor, HDD, RAM, screen, etc)

    For the record I maintain a list of linux and no-OS laptop vendors:
    http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html
    and there aren't that many. Go through there product lines and start
    cutting out winmodems, broadcam wireless and nvidia, and there is very
    little left.

    The problem is consumers don't build laptops, companies do. I can build
    my desktop component-by-component. (Rally now for open, interchangable
    laptop hardware!)

    Cheers,
    Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.023 / U:29.340 seconds]