    SubjectRe: Announce: ndiswrapper
    On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:41:21PM +0100, Diego Calleja García wrote:
    > El Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:59:46 +1100 Nick Piggin <piggin@cyberone.com.au> escribió:
    >
    > > I must say that I've been using the same nvidia drivers on my desktop
    > > system for maybe a year, and never had a crash including going through
    > > countless versions of 2.5/6. True you need to recompile the intermediate
    >
    > You're lucky.
    > Nvidia drivers are broken, and it's not just linux. Their windows drivers
    > are know to be buggy, too. And this is happening in windows (which has a
    > "windows driver model" abi which doesn't change even between W9x and nt)
    >
    > Also, they don't support non-x86 architectures in linux (they have drivers
    > for mac os X though)
    > If there're a lot of binary drivers for linux, we'll have the same hell
    > microsoft has (w2k and XP are rock solid, until you start using crappy
    > drivers, then everybody complains about blue screens). A stable and defined
    > abi (like their driver model) doesn't work for them, it won't work for us.
    >
    > I don't mind running propietary code...but not in the kernel.
    >
    > (BTW, are there modern graphics cards with 100% opensource drivers?)

    None of the new chips (r300, any nvidia, matrox, etc) has opensource 3D
    drivers.

    If you want good 3D support (OpenGL) you need to use binary drivers :(

    DRI (opensource) opengl-drivers have support for only ati r200 and older
    cards.. so nothing new. And DRI drivers don't support the advanced features
    of these cards.. so no shaders etc :(

    OpenGL support in DRI drivers feels also more buggy than Nvidia/ATI binary
    drivers :(

    So the situation is not good..

    -- Pasi Kärkkäinen

    ^
    . .
    Linux
    / - \
    Choice.of.the
    .Next.Generation.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.023 / U:0.968 seconds]