    SubjectRe: ide write cache issue? [Re: Something corrupts raid5 disks slightly during reboot]
    On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:05:31PM -0800, you [Andre Hedrick] wrote:
    > I added the flush code to flush a drive in several places but it got
    > pulled and munged.
    > The original model was to flush each time a device was closed, when any
    > partition mount point was released, and called by notifier.
    > In a minimal partition count of 1, you had at least two flush before
    > shutdown or reboot.
    > So it was not the code because I fixed it, but then again I am retiring
    > from formal maintainership.

    Thanks, Andre :(.

    As an^Wthe IDE expert, can you clarify a few points:

    - How long can the unwritten data linger in the drive cache if the drive
    is otherwise idle? (Without an explicit flush and with write caching

    I had unmounted the fs an raidstopped the md minutes before the boot.

    - Can this corruption happen on warmboot or only on poweroff?

    - What kind of corruption can one see the if boot takes place "too fast"
    and drive hasn't got enough time to flush its cache?

    -- v --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:21.156 seconds]