    SubjectRe: ide write cache issue? [Re: Something corrupts raid5 disks slightly during reboot]

    I added the flush code to flush a drive in several places but it got
    pulled and munged.

    The original model was to flush each time a device was closed, when any
    partition mount point was released, and called by notifier.

    In a minimal partition count of 1, you had at least two flush before
    shutdown or reboot.

    So it was not the code because I fixed it, but then again I am retiring
    from formal maintainership.

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick
    LAD Storage Consulting Group

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Ville Herva wrote:

    > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 08:01:14PM +0100, you [Willy Tarreau] wrote:
    > > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 08:25:18PM +0200, Ville Herva wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is there anything special in booting to DOS instead of different linux
    > > > kernel, other than that it would rule out some strange kernel bug that is
    > > > present in 2.2 and 2.4?
    > >
    > > No, it was just to quicky confirm or deny the fact that it's the kernel
    > > which causes the problem. It could have been a long standing bug in the IDE
    > > or partition code, and which is present in several kernels.
    >
    > I vaguely recall some ide write cache flushing code was fixed some time ago,
    > but I can't find it in the archives. Maybe I dreamed that up. But I still
    > wonder why an otherwise idle drive would hold the data in write cache for so
    > long (several minutes.)
    >
    > > But as you say that it affects two different controllers, there's little
    > > chance that it's caused by anything except linux itself.
    >
    > Unless the drive is buggy wrt. flushing its write cache. But I think it's
    > a quite distant possibility.
    >
    > > Then, the reboot on DOS will only tell you if the drives were corrupted at
    > > startup or at shutdown.
    >
    > Yep. I'll try to find the moment to boot the beast into something else than
    > the current kernel / distro (it could in theory be something in userspace,
    > though I cannot think what).
    >
    > > > BTW: the corruption happens on warm reboots (running reboot command), not
    > > > just on power off / on.
    > >
    > > OK, but the BIOS scans your disks even during warm reboots.
    >
    > True, I mainly made this note because I hadn't mentioned it before in the
    > thread, and I thought it might have some relevance wrt. possible ide write
    > caching problems. I didn't mean it as a response to the BIOS theory.
    >

    > -- v --
    >
    > v@iki.fi
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.023 / U:59.536 seconds]